Washington, September 25, 2023 – The Export-Import Bank of the US (Exim) approved a financing of 57 million dollars for engineering and feasibility studies for the preparation of the construction of units 3 and 4 at Cernavodă, the Minister of Energy announced on Monday evening, Sebastian Burduja, on his Facebook page.
“We started the week with good energy. The good news came from Washington, where Exim USA unanimously approved a $57 million in funding for engineering and feasibility studies to prepare for the construction of units 3 and 4 at Cernavodă. A project that we will see completed in 8 years, and for this, we must take steps every day. And we do,” the minister wrote on the social network.
The Ministry of Energy announced last week the Canadian Government’s intention to provide 3 billion Canadian dollars to finance the new CANDU nuclear reactors of the Cernavodă plant.
In August 2021, Romania signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Canada to strengthen and further support cooperation in civil nuclear energy projects, following a 55-year relationship between Canada and Romania in the nuclear industry.
The interest in financing the project of Units 3 and 4, worth three billion Canadian dollars, announced by the Canadian Government, complements the interest expressed by the United States of America, through the US Exim Bank, to finance the technical services provided by the USA for the same units.
Nuclearelectrica is the Romanian national company producing electricity, heat and nuclear fuel that operates under the authority of the Ministry of Energy, the Romanian state holding 82.49% of the shares, and the other shareholders 17.50%, after the company was listed on the stock exchange in 2013.
CNE Branch (CNE) Cernavodă operates two CANDU nuclear units, which are among the most performing units among the more than 400 nuclear power plants in the world, a nuclear fuel plant and is in the process of realizing an integrated fuel cycle through the acquisition a uranium concentrate processing line, in order to support the company’s long-term investment projects.
Nuclear energy production capacities have no CO2 emissions, are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, have an extremely low dependence on the climate factor and are safe. The operation of Units 1 and 2 avoided the release of 205 million tons of CO2 since commissioning, Nuclearelectrica recently showed.